Healthy Eating and Finding Balance
Trying to do everything perfect that you become so fixated on perfection that it turns into an obsession . I have a serious obsession with food! I love it and knowing I have limitations really screws me up. This is something I struggle with ALL the time. The first thing that I want is something sweet. If I give in to the urges, I tumble off the wagon and end up five miles back. So I COMPLETELY understand what you are feeling. You are NOT ALONE in this struggle.
We all struggle maintaining balance.
We have to just stay focused on doing the best we can, with what we have. That means taking baby steps. It means not letting food consume our lives. If you can eat well 80% of the time, then the other 20% won’t kill you. We’re all going to have periods of time where life makes us busy, stressed, and overwhelmed. I always suggest eating some natural sugar like fruit to fix that sweet tooth instead of ice cream or a cookie. For example; bowl of oatmeal, (protein powder in it) and some fruit on top.
We all may “preach” about eating a certain way and we sincerely want people to be healthy, but it’s important for all of us to realize that what you put in your body is only one aspect of optimum health. If you are eating a 100% clean diet, but it is causing you stress and angst and frustration, than the good effects of your diet are negated by the bad emotion. That’s not to say that we should start eating junk to eliminate the stress, but I really do think that we all need to look at the mental and emotional toll that some of these issues have on us. Finding balance is key….
I say do what you can. One day at a time….Strive to make the best decisions possible. Try to buy the highest quality food that your budget allows. Take baby steps. And don’t sweat the small stuff. In the long term, stress is going to be more damaging to your body than a little extra sugar or processed foods every once in a while. One thing that I have started trying to do is to ask myself “If I eat this, am I nourishing my body?” It has made me stop in my tracks and think about what I’m putting in my mouth now.
Leave A Comment